08 April 2010

"you've had a charmed life, kid."

So says Sybil Stone to her son Everett in The Family Stone.  But the truth is any of us who are accessing the blogosphere, we all have pretty charmed lives.  And so frequently, despite my attempt to remind myself, I forget. I forget; I ignore; I am complacent.

But tonight my heart got broken and oh how beautiful it is, sometimes, to have a broken heart.
Tomorrow (now today) is One Day Without Shoes, and I'm going shoeless because my heart is wrecked right now.
I'll show you why.

About minute 3:40 ish there are these little babies that made me bawl.


I'm going shoeless not just because there are kids without shoes, but because there are kids without clean water. There are children without parents. There are children who lack so much and daily I go through my life thinking that what I have is normal. I even have the audacity to think that I might deserve more.

This isn't just about raising awareness for other people anymore.  I need to do this to remind me that I've got a pretty charmed life.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails