29 April 2010

TA-DA!!!!

In honor of finals week, I will copy and paste the brilliant collection of quotes from our favorite, favorite professor of yester-semester.  (A combination of a dear soul's collection and mine.)

"Can I just say poetry? I can’t say minstrelsy."

"If I spaz out, I’ll just get up and pace back there."

"Yesterday we had our English department meeting and it was really boring. Often in these meetings I don’t say anything and just observe from an anthropological perspective. The Dean told us to not make students with swine flu come to class. We found the swine flu really funny. There’s something funny about unavoidable death."

"I’m trying to be a teacher here. I’m failing horribly."

"I’m not going to do the line between sensible and intelligible. It’s boring."

"I don’t know about Aeneid and Aristotle and Plato. I hope to God that Ashley’s presentation helps."

"Can we turn off the leaf blower?"

"That took a long time to say. It’s very boring. There it is."

"I cross listed the references, which is really, I think, admirable."

"Oh, don’t write this down!!!"

"It’s nice to be 5’6”."

"I’m sorry. It’s not like I know about this."

"Because I’m not capable of like, magic, I can’t..."

"I just don’t know what to say."

"Why am I sitting up here? Oh, I was trying to teach, or something."

"It reminds me of something I would have said. Like, what???"

"Are we done with that? I killed it."

"Romances have been trashy since Neo-Aristotelian Classicism."

"I’m sorry about all of that…. I’m not sorry."

"I’m good at grabbing bugs out of the air."

"It’s a thesis squeezing the life out of a ghost."

"The excitement of intellectual history!"

"Having some secondary pleasures?"

"And everyone is going, “Shit, this guy is a jerk!”"

"Be all you can be!"

"Watch out for “E.” It could get you. I don’t know what I mean by that."

"Let me see if I can think of a way to explain it- oh! I diagrammed it while you were talking!"

And the one that made me tear up (from our discussion of Addison, I remember, because I was the only one to finally say that it was talking about sex and he didn't expect me to be the one to do it and he got this great surprised look in his face):
"Beauty, look, it’s sex. It makes birds want to hook up- hook up with the right kind of birds. Beauty is beauty because it’s sexy."

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy right now! thanks for sharing!!! I love so many, but if I were forced to choose... it'd be "Watch out for “E.” It could get you. I don’t know what I mean by that." It made me laugh out loud. I can see his mannerisms & everything, haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why I was blanking on what that was from - it's from our final exam! WHICH BY THE WAY, I'm going to email you about that right now. I laughed til I cried remembering the birds hooking up one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GEEEEEZ How did I just now see this post?! bahahahaha i love, love, love that little leprechaun man. it makes me so sad that i can't take him for something else.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails