24 January 2010

I bet Mary made this for the Baby Jesus.

Okay, that's not entirely possible because tomatoes came from the New World, and the New World was a little undiscovered by people on that side of the pond. But really, ya'll, this tomato sauce is heavenly. It will make you feel like you're doing yourself good for making your own sauce, but it is so daggum easy. The recipe came from Smitten Kitchen (actually from another source first), and she has really pretty pictures of the process (I do not).

All you do is plop a 2 lb can of peeled tomatoes, 5 tablespoons of butter, and an onion cut in half in a pot (adding salt to taste, and if your tomatoes were like mine, you may want to toss in about a half a teaspoon or so of sugar). You bring that to a good simmer, then let it gurgle on low heat for 45ish minutes (occasionally stirring and breaking up the tomatoes). You remove the onion halves, and voila! Home made tomato sauce. It's amazing (what recipe whose main seasoning is butter ISN'T?). So I just tossed it over some whole wheat pasta and then couldn't keep my mouth shut for 15 minutes before I had to tell you. I think that this could prove fantastic in the case of picky eaters (I used to screech about the cut up onions in spaghetti sauce) down the line for many of us... Since you take the onion out, you hide the evidence! Genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails