06 November 2009

Brie, Bacon, and C.S. Lewis.


I think that C.S. Lewis is the most brilliant man to ever walk the planet. I do not care about Einstein. I do not care about that Russian man with the really small brain yet extravagant IQ. For me, C.S. Lewis is it.

That being said, I am re-reading The Screwtape Letters, a couple of "letters" a night.
Good God the man is brilliant.

So I just got home from The Gourmet Shop in Five Points where I got bacon and brie on a croissant. To freaking die for. Not something you can eat every day, probably more like once every three months. But anyway.

It reminded me of this part in Screwtape where the demon tells Wormwood:
He's a hedonist at heart... Out at sea, out in His sea, there is pleasure, and more pleasure... He has a bourgeois mind. He has filled His world full of pleasures. There are things for humans to do all day long without his minding in the least -- sleeping, washing, eating, drinking, making love, playing, praying, working. Everything has to be twisted before it's any use to us.

Amazing. There is this portrait of God that has been painted that shows him as a severe, castigating warlord who delights in rules and punishment. It just isn't so! The world is made for pleasure. Sweet. The problem comes with the pleasure is perverted. So here I am, eating my brie and bacon thinking "It does not get much better than this!" The world is a sucky place sometimes, but the truth is that it originally was created to be Eden, and I found a little bit of it in my brie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails