23 September 2009

The anomalies of the GG world.

I got on the Gossip Girl train. I'm currently on episode 15 of the second season, almost there!!!

Anyway, Gossip Girl is known for its outfits - they have designers doing lines inspired by the show, you can find out where to get clothes like on the show, etc, etc... But there are some serious no-gos for me and I don't understand where they come from. (For the record, any fashion sense or critique of fashion I have comes from very little knowledge of actual fashion trends but from my obsessive study of theories in color, proportions, and composition in art. I am sooo not pretending like I know what is "stylish." Except for lavender is in as a neutral this fall.)

With Blair they're usually seriously ugly outfits, and for some reason Serena always seems to wear these insanely inappropriate outfits to serious occasions.
1)
Um, yikes. Blair is generally prepped out to the max - but in this episode (on her way to Yale) she is wearing a puke green sweater, a split pea colored shirt, and a puke green + maroon + black knit tie.


2)
I don't oppose this style of hat in general - I've seen it worn well. But geeez do you not think of the constable that brought back Jane and Michael Banks after their kite flew away in Mary Poppins? Also she has like seven different strange patterns going on in the whole thing (the skirt is plaid???) I DON'T GET IT.

3) Blair's grande finale:

Did she just step off of the Mayflower? She looks like the Pillsbury doughboy's sister.

Then there's Serena.

1)
Okay. If Serena were protesting her mother's marriage here, I would get the black accessories as being symbolic. But she's not protesting, and she's in the wedding. Who wears black gloves in a wedding???

2) So while Serena has funeral-like elements in her wedding ensemble, this is what she wears to a funeral later on:
Because nothing says "respect for the dead" like a one shoulder / sleeveless dress.


The one person who has never made me go YIKES - Chuck Bass. Bahaha please note this sweater - hilarious. (Get it? Fish, Bass. Love it.)

1 comment:

  1. Serena's fave accessory are her boobs.

    as for Blair...Blair is always situation-appropriate. If she's going to Yale, she's going to be preppy. If she's trowing a sushi party, she's going to wear a kimono dress, etc etc.

    and Chuck is Chuck. the other boys on the show are so dreadfully boring someone had to do it.

    I'm glad you're enjoying the show!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails