01 March 2010

Andrew Bird.

First of all, it is a miracle that the discovery that has just been discovered was ever discovered at all.  I don't even know why I bothered to download Nylon's free indie playlist, because I generally end up erasing them entirely from my iTunes: the space is more precious than the mushy microwave music.  But I did download Nylon's indie playlist (I would give you the link but it just expired), and of course found the inevitable Cheerleader by Grizzlybear, which is one of every hipster's favorite songs.  I don't understand Grizzlybear.  A lot of indie music sounds like static to me.  Regardless, I will always end up downloading free indie playlists because I secretly want to be as cool as Jared from my coffee shop days, wear sweet glasses like these:
,
and listen to vinyl while laying on  my bed.  Probably The Smiths. I really do like The Smiths.
Being a hipster requires a lot of effort, though.  I generally fail.

Moving along. So I download this playlist and, sure enough, there are many strange songs that go far beyond my taste threshold. BUT THERE IS ONE, and it is entitled "Fitz and the Dizzyspells."

Instantly, I was filled with hope. Being that there are several people who call me Fitz, I thought, wouldn't that be fantastic if that song were decent?  Lo and behold, I found a pearl in the oyster of the indie playlist, and his name is Andrew Bird.


He's been around for a good long while, like they all seem to be by the time I find them.  Started playing violin at the age of four, classically trained, then turned his brilliant violin playing into pop music (there's a really cool video of him and Yo Yo Ma playing some improvisational stuff).  AND adds whistling- he's really famous for his whistling skills!  I suddenly feel immense regret that I had never heard of him before. A lot of his lyrics are pretty far out, but I enjoy them nonetheless. "Oh burrow into me, this is sure to misspell disaster."  "Come what may, lay your eggs where it's warm, We come here to swarm, Come by sea, Swarm like smoke in the dawn" I'll get right on that egg laying, Mr. Bird (seriously, we were meant to be: Bird... Robins...)

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails