I am always searching for more scripts to incorporate into my calligraphy. I've been building from some great contemporary calligraphers like Fat Orange Cat Studio and Paperfingers, but today I decided to go do some work with a classic script like Spencerian. So I find an alphabet / primer sheet and get to the bottom, and the sentence to practice is "The purest treasure Mortal times afford Is spotless reputation."
Hilarious. I'll make a note that this is titled "Ladies' Spencerian Primer." So while these ladies were working on their handwriting, they were oh-so-gently reminded not to do anything that would garner them a bad reputation. All I gotta say is I'm so grateful that "reputation" doesn't determine our futures like it used to - think Mary Crawley. She was totally thinking Cousin Matthew would. Never forgive her if he knew about Mister Pamuk - and he totally loved her anyway. I'm glad we don't have to bet on amazing (though sometimes ridiculous) Matthew Crawleys as our only hope if we messed up in the past. I think I'd say the purest treasure mortal times afford is love or family or something. What a big load off our shoulders not to worry about rumors or a gossip column RUINING us.
Back to calligraphing!

No comments:
Post a Comment