08 May 2011

The day that today is.

It's a really strange day for me today, as it is every year.

I go through a whole range of emotions, and frustration or annoyance frequently top the list.
I woke up, looked at Facebook and quickly remembered that today is the day I usually cut off Facebook and Twitter completely because I get so angry.
You'd think I wouldn't be angry 23 years later, but it's what happens.

I decided that since everyone else was having brunch that I would go to The Gourmet Shop and continue one of my favorite Sunday morning/afternoon traditions of a latte and brunch.
Clay's in Kentucky until this evening, so it was a quiet time of reading the book I'm currently sucked into - Ross King's The Judgement of Paris, which is about the story of the Salon des Refusées in Paris in the 1860s and the development of Impressionism. Given that one of the most special connections I have to my mom has been pouring through the giant Great Book of French Impressionism since I was young, it seemed rather appropriate.

I watched a sweet little girl plop herself down on the sidewalk, open her sketchbook and begin to draw. One other little girl, maybe two years old, screeched "birdy!" and waddled her way over to a chickadee who immediately took flight.
My eyes teared up at the sheer joy around me, and my anger softened to a fierce longing and jealousy.

I can't say the day that it is. I can't say Happy ______'s Day to anyone. It gets stuck in my throat before it can fully form. But I hope you had a lovely ______ day regardless.

2 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about you a lot this week, leading up to today. Your mom would be so proud of the amazing woman that you've become.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails