28 March 2011

Regarding Joanna Goddard and the hanging of the moon.

I really think that Joanna Goddard may have actually hung the moon. Have you ever seen that woman post anything on her blog that doesn't make you absolutely gush? From her picture-perfect wedding to her adorable little baby? But what I really love about her is her promotion of easy, simple style.  Seriously. Okay, so sometimes she'll post something super out of anyone's price range, but I generally love drawing inspiration from her blogs because they seem so doable (versus say, The Man Repeller's, or even the style captured by The Sartorialist. And of course, he is on my bad side today after calling this woman "bigger." But that's a topic for another day).

I have a girl crush on every person she posts on her blog. Like say, this lovely lady:
Blazer, pink lipstick, a chunky watch, and denim trousers. Totally doable.  

And then there are the hair tutorials she and her friend Caroline do: whoa my gosh. 

I realized that I always feel like I need to incorporate something fancy or new into my wardrobe because I never feel like I have that style that everyone does in the cool blogs.  (Why am I concerned about this? Well, I'm a lady. Ladies do this.) So I realized that most of what makes me go "She looks so stunning!" is a combination of a) killer lipstick (of which I am a HUGE fan), b) easy basics and c) small, simple jewelry (with the exception of a gold man watch. Man I want a gold man watch). 

I have no desire to aspire to the likes of the Sartorialist's ladies; I'll never own $700 indigo suede boots. I like my feet to be flat on the floor, thank you. It turns out that my favorite pieces I own are usually the simplest, a chambray button up, my gray swing tank (I got that sucker for $10 at target and wish I had bought 5 more of the same gray tank), and my JCrew gladiator sandals.  

I have spent so much money as of late (probably should channel my energy towards something like... getting back into my art? maybe?) going after pieces that I think will make my whole wardrobe stylish, and I always feel like I need more.  It's really unhealthy, don't we think? It is. And maybe you have felt this way at one point, maybe? 

I've thought about cutting up my JCrew card and not letting myself call for a replacement until July or something, but, I mean, that's silly (no, Lydia, it's probably a really good idea.) 
So I'll try instead to shop from my closet, to turn my eyes off to people like the Sartorialist's blogs, and try some fun new hair styles.  

But if anyone wants to gift me a piece of Caroline-the-hair-genius's jewelry line Brutus, I'll gladly accept: 
Porcia bracelet
Yeah, that's right: they're named after characters from Julius Caesar. #win








1 comment:

  1. I really like Scott's edit to the post about the "curvy" girl...have you seen it? I'm proud that he's willing to open up that conversation. Curvy is so relative and has so many different meanings.

    ANYWAY, I like this post of yours. I'm texting you about it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails