I am loving the controversy surrounding Rob Bell's new book, Love Wins.
I have this theory that all the people who are condemning Rob Bell are going to be eating their words soon.
I think Bell purposely made this video ambiguous. In fact, I think people's condemnations of it are more than anything revealing of their own hearts than Bell's. If you are so ready to condemn a man before you have had a chance to read the book in its entirety, surely that says something about you.
In my experience, Rob Bell is one of the most creative and thoughtful guys out there when it comes to faith, and nothing I have read by him has ever raised a red flag regarding his theology. I think that most people are putting this video into their own contexts, having been waiting for another chance to condemn him. I think what this book aims to do is not destroy the Gospel, but to destroy the false doctrine that has been propagated that we should be scared into following God - seeking Him because we fear the alternative, rather than embracing the true loving nature of the God who wants us all to be with him for eternity.
Let's just wait and see, I say. I pre-ordered the book from Amazon - it should arrive around the the 17th of March (10 days), when I've moved on to the tweaking & editing stage of my thesis. I'm stoked.
No comments:
Post a Comment