03 February 2011

Art History and Sex Ed.

Fact: Renaissance Art celebrates a lot of flesh.  

Today, for some reason or another, the Professor was talking about Savonarola and how under his influence sodomy was a capital offense in Florence.  Excellent. 

So I'm sitting in the back of the auditorium where my little friend and his friend talk the whole time, but usually not too disruptively and he manages to take notes, so I don't harass him.  Little friend turns to me and says, "What's sodomy?" with a grin.  To believe or not to believe his ignorance... 

"No, seriously, I'm gonna have to Google it if you don't tell me." So I tell him it's a gay man's ultimate form of sexual expression, trying to be tactful or something? To which he responds, "So lesbians too?" 

Excellent. At this point I realize he may know what sodomy is, but never have heard the "official" term for it. Fabulous; so I respond "Uhh.... it's anal penetration." 

Why me?

Funny enough, the first time I had a classroom discussion on bestiality and sodomy: AP Art History, bright and early in the morning my senior year of high school.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the semester full of snickering and phallic objects... 

Discussion today included Donatello's David, focusing on his "cute little butt" and the feather caressing his "cute little thighs." "I think I'll toss on this hat today for battle!" 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails