This is not a jab at their masculinity.
This is just something I've been noticing, and I think they would have been served well to have had a sorority experience for one main reason: Public Relations Training.
As it turns out, you get a lot of training on how to give yourself and your sisters a better image. We are constantly told that the image we present to our campus community reflects our sorority as a whole (this makes me think particularly of Gibbs's need for a sorority). If Press Secretary Gibbs understood that, then maybe he would be more concerned with his reactions to the media. I, personally, would want my Press Secretary (that falls directly under public relations, you know) to represent my administration as one that is calm, gentle, but strong (regardless of what I actually am like, that is how I would certainly choose to come across as president. Perception is reality). He or she would need to "be the bigger person," not lashing out or making snide remarks. (He has caused squabbles between himself and Rush Limbaugh, former Vice President Dick Cheney, and Rick Santelli.) My Press Secretary represents me to the media, and I want to be represented in the best light possible, thank you very much.
Of course, I have to address the Special Olympics comment. Poor President Obama. If he had been in a sorority, he probably would have had "no, that's bad PR to say that" on his brain to stop him from making the comment on National TV that his bowling skills are similar to those of Special Olympics participants. Sure, he didn't come on stage meaning to make fun of mentally disabled people. I don't think he's malicious, and I don't think that he sees mentally disabled people as less-than-human. I do however, think that it was very poor judgement to even let those words bubble up in his brain. You're the president of the United States. You should know better than to make jabs at organizations like that. It seems common sense to me, of course. But maybe it was all my days with SJT, Charlotte, and Joanna on the PR Committee that helped me to understand this... (This is also probably why I think it's inappropriate for presidents to smack gum in public, but that also could be the influence of Mrs. Schweers, my 8th grade English teacher.)
Always take a shower and straighten your hair before you wear your letters, Obama. Always.
No comments:
Post a Comment