20 May 2009

Here's the thing...

I'm really ticked off by the poor craftsmanship of the new art that's at work right now. It's up for sale. The matting is so generic, the pictures are off center, and they have no visual interest (excpet for one, I will give one of them 5 gold stars).

So here's what I'm thinking, and reminding myself:
I never want to assume that because I take a picture of something "pretty" or visually appealing, that my photograph is automatically a decent one. There's a difference. Ferns are interesting. But I am not about to take a picture of ferns from normal height, at a normal viewing angle and then assume that my photograph is worth being sold to someone. It's just not. If they want to see that, they can see that walking by a patch of ferns. I want to make sure that with my photography, I am not exploiting the technology. I don't ever want to think I'm a good photographer because I have a good camera or decent photo editing software. It is imperative to me that I am always challenging myself, rethinking my art.

Therefore, I'm going back to painting for a while. I want to make sure my brain is really being stretched, that I'm keeping up with technique, and not just assuming because I have a sweet new lens that I am also a sweet photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails